Sunday, May 10, 2009

Would I find a better job majoring in math or computer science?

Or both?


I'm currently a Freshman and, having been thinking about what I want to do after college, discovered I have no bloody clue.


I just want to make sure I make enough money to do things that I like.


I guess it would also be cool to enjoy whatever I'm doing.


Anyway, should I major in computer science or math?

Would I find a better job majoring in math or computer science?
That question all depends on what you consider a good job. Both majors can lead to very fulfilling careers.





With math, most people think that the only places to go are academia or government think tanks, neither of which pay very well. The truth is, math majors are treasured on Wall Street nowadays because proprietary trading is making billions of dollars every year. As a math major, you'll be a great candidate for a banking job which pays a lot but also makes you put in some horrendous hours.





With computer science, you're more likely to end up in a more traditional role as a programmer early on in your career. Compared with banking the money isn't all that impressive though it's still nothing to scoff at. The work hours tend to be better and you could even work from home.





The two options could lead to very different careers and the big question is what you want out of a job. Good luck in your search!
Reply:That's hard to answer. There are LOTS of jobs in computer science. There are a few in mathematics...mostly science related, insurance related, and education. If you really like applied mathematics, you might reconsider and try engineering.





What really makes the difference is your own personality...it's better to choose what you are good at than what might make money. because if you are no good...you won't make any money anyway.





computer science is either software development or IT stuff. Software development is fast paced and can be stressful but more exciting than basic 'science'.


No comments:

Post a Comment