Thursday, July 9, 2009

Do you have to be good in Math to be good in computer science?

Is it an absolute must to be strong in Math in order to be good in computer science? Can I still be successful in university computer science if I am average/slightly below average at math?

Do you have to be good in Math to be good in computer science?
You can always get better at math!





It is not a must to be good at math to be useful in Information Technology. However, if you wish to be a good developer, you should at least have good run in pre-calc and keep your geometry in good shape too.





I write software for the construction industry and I have to be able to solve equations all-day long backwards and forwards. Calculus builds on good arithmetic. Seriously, if you are good with computers, you should resolve to at least pass your math requirement. It will be worth it.





I hardly remember my calc, but I occasionally go back an re-learn specific things to get me through a problem.





FYI: When hiring, we have rarely had the luck of hiring a DeVry grad with any real talent.
Reply:Most four-year degree programs will require you to complete four semester of calculus level mathematics. You might try a technical or accredited school like Devry because they may have fewer requirements. You could also go for an information systems program as a business degree instead of math/science based.


No comments:

Post a Comment