Monday, July 13, 2009

Where can I get an online BS in Computer Science that would get me into a good Masters program?

Twenty years ago I completed three years towards a computer science degree (at a decent university), but to my regret I dropped out. I've been working since as a professional "software engineer" and have been quite successful. But I'd like to get a MS in Computer Science (to give me more career options and as a good example for my kids).





What would be a good institution for me to finish (or start over on) a BS degree? It would be nice to get transfer credit and even work experience credit, but it's more important to me that I get a degree that would be recognized by a good university MS program.





Since I have a full-time job and a wife and kids, it would be more convenient for me to take all or the majority of my courses online.





I'd also like the program to be modern and interesting. I'd like courses to be available on subjects such as compiler theory, distributed computing and even software engineering with agile methodologies.





Am I asking for too much?

Where can I get an online BS in Computer Science that would get me into a good Masters program?
Probably. I have heard of a number of good online options for the MS, but not for undergrad. Even the MS is usually in something like an MBA or engineering management - good universities want you to attend class, not just for the student-teacher interaction but also for the student-student interaction.





You should contact some schools in your area and ask them directly. It will take commitment and work - you'll have to do online research and make phone calls, maybe even visit them. You'll probably meet with resistance. But if this is something you must do in your heart then go for it.





(And it better be, because this research is cake compared to school while working and taking care of kids)
Reply:I teach online at Franklin University and we offer a quite nice degree in ITEC and MIS. Check them out at www.franklin.edu.

wild flowers

No comments:

Post a Comment